With the fast changing world, we all are in a competition to do better than what we are doing today and what we had done tomorrow. With the economy growing to a global scale it is self-explanatory that employees are working down the clock at a non-stop speed for a better growth professionally and personally. But the question trails on all of us
Before we dig deep into it, let us first clear the cloud on what is a perfect work-life balance.
“Are we really living a balanced work-life?”
“Work-life balance” a term which is often mixed with balancing the time allotted for work with time spent on family. In fact, it is more beyond this, it is also about the individuality, a person’s desire to make time for their hobby or rather a “Me Time” which can be seldom achieved nowadays. Many psychologists and researchers are of the view that people with a better work-life balance are much happier & healthy than people earning more and having no time for themselves or family. A person’s self-confidence and emotional quotient are becoming as important as their monitory gains. In the context of India work-life balance is often a misnomer. A study by Arcadis (An Amsterdam based consultancy) revealed that Indian workers did work for about 2000 hours which quite more than many of its peer countries.
Negative effects of a poor work-life balance:
- Sleep Deprivation: The most common negative effect of poor work-life balance and clinically the most dangerous in today’s world. Having less time for proper sleep can affect the body metabolism negatively. A person with high sleep deprivation has high risks of stroke, coronary heart disease, mental disorders, anxiety, and depression.
- Poor performance in work: A workaholic life always is not at all good for us. Passion is one thing and compulsion is another. Regular long hours stretching in the office should not be the course of the employee’s schedule. In the long run, it hampers the performance of employees as the company increases expectations from them which is not always feasible.
- Rough behavioral changes: Both the above facts lead to a drastic change in the behavioral aspects of people and they start behaving
abnormallywith their close ones. This effect is worst for the family members as they have to bear with their worst side.
How to start practicing healthy work-life balance:
- Tea/Coffee breaks: Tea & coffee breaks are the best time to interact with office colleagues and take a break from work. People should avoid talking about their work during this time and engage in talks not related to the office like holiday plans, get together plans, politics, movies, etc.
- Sports: Once a week a person should take out time to play some outdoor games. This relieves a lot of toxins from our body due to strenuous long hour’s weekly tasks. Feel healthy bring life to you.
- Avoid phone calls on holidays: This is quite common and many employers would not give on this. Unless there is a major emergency one should enjoy their holidays to the fullest.
- Short Office picnic/trips as recreational activities: Instead of throwing lavish party employers can try a change in this tradition by organizing short office trips and picnic.
- Decrease overworking of employees: Companies should evaluate the task of employees from time to time to find out if they are overloaded with responsibilities and if there is a requirement to increase the team strength.